38这 是 诫命 中的第一 ，且是 最大的 。
38This is the first and great commandment.
38 Verse 38. This is the first and great commandment.] It is so,
1. In its antiquity, being as old as the world, and engraven
originally on our very nature.
2. In dignity; as directly and immediately proceeding front and
referring to God.
3. In excellence; being the commandment of the new covenant, and
the very spirit of the Divine adoption.
4. In justice; because it alone renders to God his due, prefers
him before all things, and secures to him his proper rank in
relation to them.
5. In sufficiency; being in itself capable of making men holy in
this life, and happy in the other.
6. In fruitfulness; because it is the root of all commandments,
and the fulfilling of the law.
7. In virtue and efficacy; because by this alone God reigns in
the heart of man, and man is united to God.
8. In extent; leaving nothing to the creature, which it does not
refer to the Creator.
9. In necessity; being absolutely indispensable.
10. In duration; being ever to be continued on earth, and never
to be discontinued in heaven.